Awkward.

  K... here goes. My scathing review on MTV's television series Awkward.

  The reason it has to be this way, is due in part to there being a particular formulation for romantic comedies, coming of age shows, and love stories that I am increasingly beginning to resent. And Awkward was supposed to be one of those shows I was expecting to break through that barrier completely. It didn't.

  You know the formula I'm talking about, right? The one where girl meets boy--- girls becomes obsessed with boy--- boy could take her or leave her--- girl needs boy to validate her worth and existence and will do anything to achieve this. Will he? Then when he does, only one season has been accomplished, so there needs to be a break up. They push and they pull, and other lovers come and go in between. An incestuous circle of friendships are formed. Everyone betrays everyone. But through it all, the one true couple that we all desperately need to see end up together, continue to build on their codependence until the vendicating end.

  Awkward. turned out to be no different in their formulation. Sure, they were much more daring from the beginning. They didn't treat Jenna's virginity with any reverence, as if it were the ultimate gift to be given to just the right lover. They didn't show her going down a shame spiral afterwards. They didn't overly demonize drugs, sex, or drinking. And it's very worth mentioning that the first few seasons were absolutely hilarious. After that though, I feel like the writers lost the plot.

  Every new episode from season four on, started giving me whiplash from how quickly each moment changed between forgiveness, uncertainty, and despair; back to loving forgiveness. Like, every five minutes it shifted between the push/pull dynamic. It happened so often and so quickly, it was enough to make a borderline personality look like they have their emotional shit together!

  Eventually I found myself showing up just to cross the finish line.
And that's it! No need for me to break down any of the characters for you or draw out some long philosophical analogy about where they went wrong, or how they could have done better. In the end, it was just more of the same ol' same ol'. But I'm not sorry I watched it. I still got to go to that place with these teenagers I didn't get to go to in my own teenage life. Bonds I never got to form or keep. Boyfriends who didn't beat, rape, or discard me in some psychopathic manner. A teenage existence where it's safe to keep living at home until you graduate, and parents worth coming back home to once college and adulthood began.

  It served its main purpose for me, so whatever, yeah? After all, it's not real life and I'm the one responsible for teaching my girls they don't need to validate their existence by winning over the perfect man. So go ahead and watch Awkward. without judgment, I suppose. It's "totes" funny and worth binging to the last episode. Even if it's just for some mindless indulgence. Just don't expect to grow from the experience and you'll be just fine.

P.S.  Also worth mentioning--- there's some great music in the soundtracks. Many have been added to my playlists.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something Wild- A Rape Story

Happiness

Vloggers Who Say "Guys" Too Much